Saturday 9 August 2014

Review; Return of the Ascendant (Ascendant #1) by Raine Thomas

Expecting to enjoy another typical college night at a frat party with friends, Kyra Vaughn’s plans derail when she’s almost killed…twice. Her savior, a tall, sexy stranger who calls himself TaeDane, claims that he’s the personal bodyguard for the Ascendant of Alametria. She’s convinced he’s crazy.

Especially when he insists that she’s the Ascendant.

With dark enemies hunting her down, Kyra has no choice but to trust her supposed bodyguard. Ty vows to help her remember her past and return her safely to Alametria, but someone seems intent on interfering, challenging his abilities at every turn.

As Kyra’s memories emerge, she remembers that Ty is more to her than he’s let on…much more than he’s allowed to be. She’ll also discover that there are many things about her planet and herself that she’d rather forget. In the end, she’ll have to make a choice: cling to the life she knows, or risk it all to become the person she’s destined to be.


My thoughts

As far as I am concerned Raine cannot write a bad book,I know for a fact if I see a book wrote by Raine I am going to buy it no matter the genre. I have loved everything she as written so far and Return of the Ascendant is no exception. 

Kyra is just like any other girl going to college and hanging with her friends, or so she believes, until one night everything she thought she knew is turned on its head and she learns not only is she from a planet called Alamertri but she is also the Ascendant or in our terms someone who will bring peace to the planet.

We also have the totally swoon worthy TaeDane known also as Ty, Raine is is unbelievable good at writing swoon worthy guys into her stories and Ty is up there in my top 10. I am actually thinking of writing a post dedicated to Raine's gorgeous hunks but lets leave that for another day.

As Kyra regains her memories and re learns who she was before she located to earth she discovers she doesn't like the person who she was and is determined to be the change she is sure her planet needs. Not everyone is thrilled by the new Kyra though.

I love the characters in this story Kyra and obviously Ty as you might have guessed is my favourite but even the secondary characters have depth and the world building as always is amazing. Then there is the villain who I absolutely loved to hate, I was reminded on more than one occasion by my fiancé that I needed to be careful or I would break my kindle but when I am in the reading zone and reading a book as well wrote as this it is so easy to forget your not part of the story and I actually forgot that I couldn't really wring his neck. lol thankfully my kindle is intact and I cant wait to make a start on the next book in the series Rout of the Dem-Shyr which as already being downloaded onto my kindle.

This book is NA but any steamy scenes are done tactfully and not at all seedy.

Also as an end note I would like to offer an apology to Raine for taking so long with the review, as I read this book quite a while ago. I touched on my reasons as to why I had neglected my blog in my last post however I feel that is quiet a pitiful excuse (even if  I include the many trips to hospital with one boy or the other) so Raine, I am so very sorry for my delay in this post and if I can make it up to you in anyway I will.


To learn more about Raine and her books click the following links
Raine's Blog
Goodreads
Twitter






1 comment:

Raine Thomas said...

What a lovely review, Lisa! Thank you so much for taking the time to write it, especially with all of life's little hiccups. I'm so glad you enjoyed ROTA!