Monday 22 October 2012

The Essential Adoption Guide: Everything the potential adoptive parent needs to know by Iain Dickinson, Rebecca Maxfield

This booklet has been written to give you an understanding of adoption, the assessment process and how you may be 'matched' with the right child for you. In this booklet, you will find the answers to the most commonly asked questions and misconceptions about adoption.

We will also look at the difficulties in the adoption process and the problems you might face. In reading this booklet, you will be given information on how adoptions break down, why they do so and what you can do to prevent it happening. Although this sounds ominous, by showing you what can go wrong, we can equip you with the tools to help everything go right. 

This guide is based on the experience of many adopters and assessing social workers. In this booklet, you will find real life case studies, simple guidance, practical tips and other useful information. We have included a glossary of useful terms to help you cut through the ‘social worker-speak’ to find out how the adoption process will work for you.

In reading this booklet, you will hear from social workers, adopted people and others to gain an understanding of:

· How adoption works 

· Your assessment and what the social worker is looking for

· Tips on becoming more involved in your assessment 

· Getting the right child for you

· Legislation

· Potential pitfalls

My Thoughts
I know this is definitely not the sort of book I would normal read, but I was interested in this as I have a few relatives that are adopting or have adopted. 

I found this informative and helpful, learning all the steps involved in the adoption process and the statics involving children that are put in care. I feel I am more able to understand what my relatives are going through with each step they take and I would recommend this to anyone who is looking to adopt I will certainly be recommending it to my relatives.

not only does it outline the steps that will be taken it also suggest ways to make the process easier on all involved and how to make sure you and the social worker, work together and all relevant information is made aware to the social worker

What surprised me the most was when the booklet discussed the type of people that can adopt and was pleased that the range of potential adopters can be quite large that, age, race gender and sexuality and marital status are not an issue, emphasis is placed on the child needing a caring  secure loving home. 

I also feel I  understand my niece better who is also adopted as the book explains the effects to children in care

No comments: