Wednesday 26 September 2012

Review; Always and Forever by Karla J. Nellenbach

Mia's first reaction is outright disbelief. Obviously, a mistake has been made. Sixteen-year-old girls don't die. But, when the diagnosis is confirmed, she dives headlong into anger. If she has to die, why should it be of cancer? In fact, anything would be preferable to cancer. Better for her to say when, where, and especially how.

Determined to meet death on her own terms, Mia devises scheme after scheme to get the job done. A “fall” down the basement stairs, driving her car off a bridge, and even a dance with a train all end in her survival. 

And through it all, Mia keeps her family and friends at arms' length with her destructive and hurtful behavior. With each failed suicide attempt and burned relationship, she slowly realizes that it’s not the dying that she’s afraid of, but the life she’ll be leaving behind. Now, that life is in a shambles. As time begins to slip through her fingers and death is upon her, Mia fights to rebuild the bridges she has destroyed, but can she do it before the clock runs out?


My thoughts
This book had me laughing, shouting angry but most of all crying.... a lot. even as I write this review the day after I have finished the book I could cry.
As I read this book I really got to know the characters and felt they where part of my life, when I wasn't reading it I was thinking about them and would sneak reading it in where ever I could, At work, in the school grounds etc. I would have loved to have been friends with these guys when I was in school. Kal was my favourite character in this book he was just so lovable and his feelings for Mia were beautiful, the way every girl wants to be loved, he would do anything for her.
I really liked Mia's voice in the story and to see and understand how the cancer affected her, and although I got to understand why she pushed people away I still wanted to slap her and tell her to let them cherish her.
Despite the books main storyline there where moments of humour that broke up the tension, especially from Mia's cat Horcrux. I loved that cat. 
I loved the story. Moving, touching  heartbreakingly beautiful but above all, told really well.

ADVICE: don't read just before you leave the house, I had to go pick up my son from school with red rimmed eyes and a red patchy face not a good look for the school grounds

You can find Karla J. Nellenbach and her books on Goodreads AmazonTwitter and her Website

No comments: