Tuesday 7 August 2012

Review for New Beginnings by Brenda A. Barrett

Review for New Beginnings
by 


I was shocked how much I liked this book, I knew from the blurb I would like it but was shocked how much.

Geneva was such a brilliant character, I loved how strong and outspoken she was and how she stood up to Pamela . 
I loved how her Ghetto way of talking stuck out so much and really enjoyed how shocked people were when she spoke and I loved how she had a few tricks up her sleeve to shock the uptowner's most of all Pamela. I wanted to high five her on more than one occasion. I was pleased that although we saw some of Geneva' teachings  it was the focus of the story and we instead saw her struggles as she learnt to try and live without her ghetto don and getting to know her sister.

Melody was a lovely girl and a great sister the complete opposite of her mother, if I had a sister I would want to be just like her.

Froggie came as a shock to me. Being the ghetto don I wasn't expecting to like him much but at his heart he was a sensitive guy who loved Geneva enough to let her go and pushed her to move on without him even though it tore him apart to do so. when it came to Geneva he was completely selfless.

Overall I really enjoyed this story once I picked it up I couldn't put it down I finished it within two days. I also think it is a story that will change peoples prejudiced perspective on the ghetto lifestyle, I am not sure if that was the authors aim or not.

No comments: